Coronavirus: Trump taking unproven drug hydroxychloroquine

/
/
15 Views

Donald Trump (17/05/20)Image copyright
EPA

Image caption

Donald Trump has advocated hydroxychloroquine as a prevention

US President Donald Trump has said he is taking hydroxychloroquine – which health officials have warned may be unsafe – to ward off coronavirus.

Speaking at the White House, he told reporters he started taking the malaria and lupus medication recently.

“I’m taking it for about a week and a half now and I’m still here, I’m still here,” he said.

There is no evidence hydroxychloroquine can fight off coronavirus, though clinical trials are under way.

Asked on Monday what was his evidence of the drug’s positive benefits, Mr Trump said: “Here’s my evidence, I get a lot of positive calls about it.”

The president – who has repeatedly touted hydroxychloroquine – suggested many medical workers were also taking the drug.

“You’d be surprised at how many people are taking, and especially the frontline workers before you catch it, the frontline workers many, many are taking it,” he told reporters.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) last month issued an advisory that hydroxychloroquine has “not been shown to be safe and effective”.

It cited reports that the drug can cause serious heart rhythm problems in Covid-19 patients.

The FDA warned against use of the medication outside hospitals, where the agency has granted temporary authorisation for its use if clinical trials are unavailable.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Pinterest

Leave a Comment

O seu endereço de e-mail não será publicado. Campos obrigatórios são marcados com *

This div height required for enabling the sticky sidebar